Re: Sloppy Construction Crew Trucks!!!!

on 2/9/01 6:30 PM, Mark Collett wrote:

> I don't want to start anything, but crews do have a responsiblity to
> keep up silt barriers, etc. to keep stuff from coming out into the
> street.  I'm not sure if it was the case here, did they just spill stuff
> in the road?  As amazing as it seems, there are actually a few things
> that someone can be held liable for...
>
> Mark Collett
>
> Lex Offer wrote:
>>
>> Sorry folks but I need to vent.  I just had an accident leaving a local mall,
>> Thanks to an inconsiderate Construction Crew Truck.  I came around a corner
>> to the mall exit (and I was only doing 20mph) when as soon as I hit the
>> concrete pad that is the exit my shoots out from under me due to a large
>> spill of concrete powder mix on the concrete pad.  I am relatively unhurt
>> (little scrape on my right knee) but the bike is all marred up on the
>> rightside, the rear brake pedal is bent up good and the hard bag is scraped
>> up a little bit (it came off on impact so was spared alot of grinding).  It
>> just hacks me off that this sorta stuff is allowed to spill and the property
>> owner do nothing to keep their property free of road hazards and aren't even
>> held liable.

<slipping out of lurk mode>
If a construction crew creates a hazard, and you can proved it, they will,
we hope, compensate you.

6 months ago, while traveling through Carson City, NV, I hit a behemoth of a
pothole that covered more than half of the lane.  The road had been torn up
for repair, and in the process a crater was formed over a sewer line. Both
rims were bent beyond repair. Fuming I parked the now wobbly bike, ran to a
gas station (ever seen a guy in a 'stich run? :), bought a disposable camera
and took photos of the bike, the chasm, and a few landmarks.

As soon as the construction company's insurance rep received the pictures, a
check was in the mail. New rims, new tires (never mind that the old tires
had 10k on them ;), and labor.

In most states, government (state, city, whatever) hired construction firms
are strictly regulated. They have to provide ramps at grade changes, post
signs for bumps (usually all they really need to do), etc.

I now carry a disposable camera in my tank bag at all times.

Scott Conary - 91 K75S - Lost in Reno?
Lethargic IBMWR events simian
thinking about an ST

End of st-digest V2001 #84