Re: US bike licence

Mark Collett wrote:

> I hope I'm wrong, but I think I saw that SC doesn't waive the road test
> even if you have taken a ride course.  Sounds really backwards, like I
> said I hope I'm wrong.  At any rate, take the rider course anyway to
> prepare, and try to borrow someone's 250cc bike.

You're right, the MSF course does not count towards the SC licence - I still
have to take the DMV written & road tests.  The strange thing is that the
MSF are the only organisation doing motorcycle training around here, none of
the dealers offer training, and the MSF bikes are not road legal so they
cannot be used for the DMV test.  Nobody around here does rental bikes so it
seems I have to buy a bike just to take the test!  As I'm not sure how long
I will be staying in the US, I'm not ready to commit to buying a bike here
yet, so I'm scratching my head as to how to get my bike licence back -
perhaps I should just let my inner teenager out and go steal someone's 250cc
bike! (Just kidding)

Eric, thanks for passing on the MSF contact.  I plan to do one of their
courses - er, once I can find a bike to do it on - they only provide bikes
for the Beginners course!

See you at the Rallye - the Lovely Ballast and I will be the ones trying to
keep up on our mountain bikes!

Neil