RE: RS v ST

Dear Dawgs,

There are so many variables that can influence performance output on a dyno
meter that the figures quoted by the various sources are of little relevance
(IMHO of course).
Factors such as air-temp, fuel grade, humidity, type of oil, odo reading,
software, barometric pressure all play a significant role in the peak
output.

IMHO the main purpose of a dyno is to measure the power curve to find dips
or peaks in the power band in order to rectify and retune. If a bike's peak
output is too low in relation to the rest of the power band, we say it runs
"flat" at top revs. This is usually due to a lean mixture at top revs at
must be rectified.

Peak output must be interpreted in relation to the rest of the power band,
not against the owners manual.

Two similar engines i.e. RS and ST should give similar outputs throughout
the power band in back to back dyno tests. If not, look at the test
conditions (odo reading, fuel grade) and eliminate any after-market add-ons.

I stay 5000 feet asl. I will wait for a dry hot day and have my bike dyno
tested, record all test conditions and report back. I guess the RS will make
about 85hp in these conditions.

Regards
Gerrit '01 yellow RS