Re: Garmin GPS

 > without causing concern.  The map view is too detailed for use IMHO for m/c
 > use and changing view with gloves on is tricky (haven't tried it with
 > summer gloves yet but I wouldn't imagine it would be an awful lot better).

i don't have the III-plus -- i have the GPS-III.  so the amount of
memory is sort of a moot point for me.  :-)

i use my gps in a completely different way.  i use the map view exclusively,
and have never done any route planning or waypoint downloading.  i
use it as a moving map, and most purposes i find the builtin base map
to be fine.  i can't imagine not having a paper map as well in any case,
and the combo of the basemap and the paper map is just fine.  in any
case, my eyes have gotten so i can't read the paper map easily without
glasses, whereas i _can_ read the gps map, since it's always centered
on my current "context".  (and since my wife, who rides with me, has
fine eyesight, and _can_ read the map, we make a good team.  she knows
where we're going, and i know where we are.  :-)

the basemap doesn't have all the roads that we ride on it.  but it
has enough, and enough landmarks, to be a great aid to navigation --
"oh -- the gps says we're still west of the lake/highway/town -- we'd
better head turn right at this unmarked intersection."  or:  "well, yes,
the road _is_ getting worse, but we're way more than halfway along it.
let's go a little further." (too much information can be a
disadvantage at times.  :-)

for something like a cross-country trip, i can't imagine having enough
memory or enough time to download the detailed maps of all the roads
you'll be on.  i guess being able to load up a specific area that you
were going to spend some time in would be cool, but mostly, i don't think
it would be worth it.

(btw, i have no trouble with the buttons on the garmin-III with my summer
gloves.  never tried it with the winter gloves.)

paul