Re: British legal question

In your message regarding British legal question dated Thu, 15 Feb 2001
19:20:09 -0500, Thomas Emberson said that ...

>TE-
>TE-  A friend works at a company that was just purchased by a British
>TE-  company. As with many mergers, a bunch of people are getting laid
>TE-  off.
>TE-
>TE-  The question is, is it common in Britain that severance packages
>TE-  contain a clause ban the person from working for the company,
>TE-  period. That include, contract work, directly or indirectly (as in
>TE-  temp agency).

I am not a lawyer but I am am an employer in the UK - it is not uncommon
for such a clause to exist.  In other words, acceptance of severance pay
(especially voluntary redundancy) on terms which include forfeiture of the
payment in the event of re-employment directly or indirectly with the same
company is a normal condition of such payment.  You can't have your cake
and eat it!

- --
Mike Bostock
http://www.toothfairy.co.uk/