Re: Running in

Previously, "James Brown" <jamesbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Has anyone got any tips or advice on running in a new RS
> Picking it up tomorrow, It's safe to say I'm a little excited.

Congratulations.  Here's my suggestions.  They have worked well for my
ST.

In the first 100 miles go through at least 3 full warm-up and cool-down
cycles.  That is, ride for 25-30 miles following the 3000 RPM breakin
limit then park it until it is cold.  Repeat this 2 or 3 times.  This is
pure agony to limit yourself to short rides combined with the low RPM
limit.  But do it -- the pain doesn't last long.

For the next 400 miles follow the suggested, gradually increasing RPM
limits remembering to vary your engine speed.  Don't get it out on the
freeway and just drone at the breakin limit.  Shift often, you'll
appreciate this later, and don't lug the engine.  I know the last is
hard to avoid while staying within the breakin guidelines, but do your
best.

Delay the first oil change a bit (by 100-200 miles, don't do it right at
500 miles) and start to open up the engine during this last phase.  Push
the engine a bit and really let it get well seated.  Continue to shift
often but let the revs run well up before shifting.  This is
particularly true when shifting out of 1st.

Do all this and you'll end up with a sweetly running engine and you'll
soon(er) have a shifter like butter.

Above all, enjoy your ride.  :-)

- --
Bill "Bench Dawg" Flowers