Re: [ST] GPS on the ST

In your message regarding Re: [ST] GPS on the ST dated Wed, 21 Feb 2001
10:25:19 -0800, Neil Lindsey said that ...

>NL-
>NL-  ----- Original Message -----
>NL-  From: "by way of Message_Redirector@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <owner-st@xxxxxxxxxx>
>
> > I have an eMap and the 12v cigarette lighter plug connector, is there some
> > sort of patch cable for the Sprint 12v socket to make it the same size as
>NL-  a
> > conventional car socket?
>NL-
>NL-  getting the inline female cigarette lighter socket should be no problem, but
>NL-  the trick is the male ST accessory plug
>NL-
>NL-  call your nearest John Deere dealer and ask them for P/N RE11344 -- cost
>NL-  should be about $9 USD

Whilst I would definitely agree that this is certainly the easiest option
it does tie up the ST accessory socket and for every car type accessory
(tyre inflators, mobile phone chargers, GPS etc you have got to put on a
Triumph/Pan/BMW male plug.  Much easier IMHO to get a simple inline car
cigarette lighter socket of the type that has two crocodile clips on the
end (for fitting to cars that have no existing cigarette lighter) cut off
the crocodile clips and wire it in under the seat (you can even get some
with two sockets!) - then you can use it for all the accessories that you
don't routinely want to plug in/remove with ease and want 'semi-hard
wired' into the bike, namely GPS and mobile phone charger (perhaps) since
they have a plug on the the other end as well!  This leaves the ST
accessory socket free for heated vests, battery optimisers etc.  A case of
prioritising your socket use.

Also worth mentioning is if the GPS is to be handlebar mounted then the
wiring needs to feed up alongside the centre of the steering yoke so as to
avoid the risk of it snagging when going from left full lock to right full
lock.  This means using cable ties.  Therefore the semi-hard wired
solution would seem preferable.

Thus - if you are going to use the GPS almost every time you go out on the
bike then I suggest you use my solution.  If you are going to have your
mobile phone on charge all the time on the bike plus the GPS then get a
double adapter.  Heated vests definitely belong in the accessory socket as
do battery optimisers and tyre inflators to facilitate easy removal.

Alternatively buy a Gold Wing as these seem to have everything built
in!!!!!

- --
Mike Bostock
http://www.toothfairy.co.uk/