Re: [ST] RE New Philips Headlight Bulbs

>From: "Graeme Spencer" <g.spencer@xxxxxxxxx>
>Following a chat with John at Fosmo Lamps, he has agreed to give all
>listers a 10% discount on the new Phillips Vision Plus Bulbs, alongside
>the current offer of free shipping.
>http://www.fosmo.com/
>http://www.eur.lighting.philips.com/automotive/indexflash.html

If you happen to speak with John again, please pass along our thanks.
What's he going to offer to those of us that have already ordered from him
?  ;-)

I can honestly say that I have reached a new low - it's Friday night and
what am I doing ? - installing new bulbs and taking measurements....

Here are my findings.

1 - As I have said before, you can change the bulbs without removing the
fairings. The left side is much easier to get to, so I would recommend
doing that side first. When installing the new bulbs the large flange is
oriented at the top (so you don't actually need to be able to see the
socket to put the bulb in). The bulb retainer is opened by moving the upper
right portion of the clip in an upwards direction until it unlatches and
swings free (the retainer is oriented the same on both left and right).

2 - The VisionPlus are definitely brighter. I started with the standard
bulbs and laid out the sides of the beam pattern, the end of the bright
area (closest to the bike) and the end of the beam. I then rolled it back
into the garage, changed out the bulbs and remeasured. The edges (side to
side) did not change much - somewhere in the range of 1 foot on each side.
The bright section of the pattern was extended almost 10 feet. The total
beam length was extended approximately 25 feet.

All in all, I must say that I am very impressed....

- -Eric