[ST] London Motorcycle Show

Just got back, and I'm still thawing out with a cuppa (it's sunny but
coooold), so thought I'd get my fresh impressions down immediately.

The show itself was pretty good, but quiet. Two folk with stands told me it
had been quiet all week ... not that surprising to me, given that it was
only 2 weeks after the OTHER London show, at Alexandra Palace. Today's venue
was far better than the rather tatty and inaccessible Ally Pally though, so
I think it'll grow and grow.

The Daytona was my first stop, there in all it's silver glory. It certainly
does look sharp, and it's growing on me more. I couldn't try it for size
though, as the only one there was up on a plinth. That headlamp is pure R1,
and the tail is kinda angular too, although the tank still has softer
curves. But I still have to say that in Japanese terms (which is what
Triumph seem to be speaking now) it has already been left behind. The new
double swingarm for just one example is black and very plain and ordinary,
unlike the cantilevered beauty on the unbelievably short and small and light
GSXR1000 on the next stand. He may want to play by their rules but I don't
see how Bloor can ever hope to keep up with the Japanese giants.

It is definitely possible to make a triple that is fast but
different-looking and still totally gorgeous. One of the nicest looking
bikes at the show was the Benelli Tre, which is very quirky (underseat
cooling fans?) but just oozes appeal, and makes almost no concessions to
Japanese styling. Of course I don't actually know it's fast, but it looks as
if it's doing 100 just sitting there! How do the Italians do it?

I likes the Guzzi V11 Sport. But then I always was a bit odd! Guzzi seem to
have lost their way on styling since the lovely T3 and S3 of the early 70's,
but maybe it's coming back at last. I loved BMW's R1100S, which looks good
(to me) and felt very purposeful to sit on. I did not like any of the
Harleys though (sorry guys). The feet-forward thing does my head in anyway,
but the bloody air filter gets in the way of using the rear brake! When
looks start to take precedence over utility I run a mile.

There were also loads of scooters. The new major of London recently
announced he is going to introduce a daily charge for traffic entering
London ... excepting public transport and bikes. So soon the capital will be
heaving with the things. I had a sit on (in?) the weirdest: the roofed
scooter BMW C1 thing. It felt cramped and claustrophobic and just plain
weird to me, but for car drivers it'll be just like home ... a radio, seat
belts, a windscreen wiper, a place for your mobile phone, somewhere to stow
the Times and a brolly, a stand that drops automatically when you stop so
you don't have to muddy your Gucci shoes, a briefcase-sized topbox etc etc.
Ugly but very efficient. I predict millions will be sold. Benelli do a nicer
version in my eyes, less practical but with much better-looking lines, and
with a removable roof ... the first two-wheeled convertible? But perhaps I'm
of the old school that thinks only the Italians can design a scooter well.

I also bought myself an Arai Quantum F, easily the most comfortable helmet
I've ever owned, and for 40 pounds cheaper than list, since it was the last
afternoon of the show. Arai Racing Yellow is a perfect match for RS Racing
Yellow, by the way.

Barry