[ST] New owner

Hi everybody, I?m John Hawkins, a Northern Californian (Napa Valley)
that?s the very happy new owner of a low miles, 49 state ?99 red ST.  I
hadn?t had a bike for 20 years but got the bug again, read all the
reviews then rode the new sport touring bikes and was blown away by the
performance (smooth power, handling and great brakes) of this generation
of Triumph (I started with a totally beat ?59 BSA Super Rocket ? what an
exciting death trap for a kid with no money).  But, I can?t resist
tinkering, and the information shared on this list is really incredible,
so I?ve already gone whole hog and put in the heavier Race Tech front
springs and cartridge emulators, ordered an Ohlins shock for the rear
(yes, Wim Kroom sells direct), added Gen Mar bar risers, heated grips, a
Two Brothers slip on, brighter bulbs, one piece shifter, etc and had
North Bay Triumph do the 5000 mile service and enter the better tune
(Jason does a very nice job).  Next will be tires (I guess Avons) plus a
radar detector mount as it is almost impossible to keep at the limit.  I
couldn?t and wouldn?t have done it without the tips and encouragement on
this site.
Question ? I?ve never had anything this nice before.  I keep the bike
garaged at home but what are the odds of it getting ripped off if I?m
travelling and it?s on the street?  How do you all keep your bikes
safe?  Is a disc lock enough, or do you need an alarm also?  How do you
get a motorcycle into a second floor motel room?
Question ? would other owners like to do periodic group rides in the
Wine Country and North Coast? (if it ever stops raining)  How would we
organize them?
Regards.