Re: [ST] New owner

At 10:10 PM 2/26/01 -0800, John Hawkins wrote:
>But, I can?t resist
>tinkering, and the information shared on this list is really incredible,
>so I?ve already gone whole hog and put in the heavier Race Tech front
>springs and cartridge emulators, ordered an Ohlins shock for the rear
>(yes, Wim Kroom sells direct), added Gen Mar bar risers, heated grips, a
>Two Brothers slip on, brighter bulbs, one piece shifter, etc and had
>North Bay Triumph do the 5000 mile service and enter the better tune\

When you say you can't resist tinkering you weren't kidding....

So do you have a running total on how much that all ran or were you afraid
to add it up ? ;-)

>Question ­ I?ve never had anything this nice before.  I keep the bike
>garaged at home but what are the odds of it getting ripped off if I?m
>travelling and it?s on the street?  How do you all keep your bikes
>safe?  Is a disc lock enough, or do you need an alarm also?  How do you
>get a motorcycle into a second floor motel room?

If you do a lot of travelling some things that help are:
- - Secure Parking (guard etc)
- - Off street parking
- - First floor rooms
- - A bike cover
- - Alarm with paging feature

A disc lock is pretty much worthless unless there is another bike nearby
with no lock (basically an easier target). The bike can just be picked up -
I watched a bike week surveillance shot where a panel van pulled up along a
Harley with a chain, lifted it into the back and drove off in a matter of
seconds.... A chain to an immovable object or to another bike is a much
better deterrent.

- -Eric