[ST] Re: front forks

I too have 24k miles on my 1999 ST.  I had a full Race Teching done on the
front end in Nov, cartridge emulators, springs and heavier weight fork oil.
The general consensus is that this will greatly improve the front end,
countering dive, rebound, and improving overall feel.  Personally I thing
going to another set of front forks is a bit extreme for the previously
mentioned reasons, Daytona forks probably won't fit the stock Sprint triple
trees, TT600 forks may not mate with stock Sprint wheel, I suspect the
Daytona stem and berring space may be different, etc...  Of course if your
going with the forks from another bike you might as well use the matching
wheel.

When I spoke to Race Tech directly a tech there told me that rebuilding the
stock Showa rear shock will require drilling and tapping the body, therefore
they won't do it.  I remember from the HSTA list that the Honda ST1100 shock
has the same basic problem.  Those people that want the stock until re-built
have been sending them to Lindemann
Engineering(http://www.le-suspension.com/) with glowing praise.  Lindermann
specializes in Showa rebuilding so it would be logical they are used to the
drilling routine.  I'm leaning toward this option myself as I have not been
disapointed in the stock unit, but I have not called to explore this
further.  You've already been told about Ohlins, the other alternative is
Penske.  I don't think Progressive makes a Sprint ST specific shock yet.

Steven "Dirty Dawg" Kohlscheen
<<
Hey everyone, I've put 24,000 great miles on my 99 now and I'm facing a
total rebuild of the front forks to say nothing about the rear shock. My
thought has been to invest in the daytona front forks and send the rear
shock to race tech. My concern is that the triple tree and different style
forks will be messing two much with rake and trail. I don't know if the
rake is steeper and how much less trail there is. anyone have any ideas or
thoughts on a better aftermarket alternative for the forks. It sure would
be nice to get some rebound adjustment for this great bike.

Thanks in advance for any ideas. Regards, Steve Barton.