Re: [ST] Re: RS Starting Problems

- ----- Original Message -----
From: "Roger Downham" <r.downham@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

> Paul
> No I don't believe I did do that until I kind of gave up and left it for a
> few minutes. On trying again it did start so maybe that could be the
> solution but it would be good  to know why.

I guess I should have mentioned the possibility that an off/on cycle of the
ignition might have resolved your problem, but for me it wasn't a 'no start'
situation.  I could always start the bike up, but it just wouldn't idle and
seemed down on power.

It only happened maybe three or four times in the year that I've had my
bike, and not at all in the last six months or more.  Given that the dealer
never witnessed the symptoms, I guess it's understandable that they never
did anything about it.

I've heard two explanations, but I have no idea which is more plausible.
The first is that the ECM had a brain fart and needed a master reset, and
the other concerned the Idle Air Control Valve (IACV) that is either
intermittently sticking or otherwise defective.  I think there was even a
suggestion some time back that Triumph may be aware of the latter and that
it's quite common on new bikes, which may explain why I haven't had the
symptom recently.  Maybe they prefer to wait till to see if the problem
remedies itself before doing anything else.

Oh, and although I think you probably know this already, I might as well
mention that you should never hold the throttle open while you attempt to
start a fuel-injected bike.  Finally, you should always use the key, not the
kill switch, to stop the engine.  The kill switch is for emergency use only
on these bikes, and if you use it routinely certain ECM settings do not get
a chance to get saved as they would if you use the ignition switch.

On the other hand there may be many other more 'traditional' reasons why
motors intermittently fail to start, and some of them have been mentioned
already (think fuel or spark).

ciao
Neil