Re: Aux. Power Socket

 > Perhaps hooking to the battery would be a good idea, but how
 > would one route the power leads cleanly to the cockpit area?  Is

surely one can get a wire under the tank somehow?  but again, if you
remove the fairings (very easy), you'll find that the wiring for
the position light is right there and available.  i'd tap into
that.

 > the harness for the socket fused?  I'd hesitate to hook it directly
 > to the battery without a fuse...

of course.  got to an auto-parts store, or even maybe radio shack, and
get an inline fuseholder, and if you're really just using it for your
gps, get the smallest fuse you can find for it.

 > A question: is the hole diameter of the socket a standard
 > cigarette lighter size?  A friend with a BMW says the BMW unit
 > is much smaller than standard.

the bmw plugs are smaller.  they come with an adapter ring that
lets you use them in cigarette sockets, but the reverse is not possible.

paul

End of st-digest V2001 #9