Re: multiple personality disorder

Paul
I am 6' 1" and I too experienced discomfort riding my ST until I spoke with
a Triumph Daytona rider by the name of Rick Boatwright of Redding
California. I mention Rick's name because he deserves the credit for being
one of those super nice guys who imparts free advice because he is dedicated
to the cause. I purchased a set of Heli bars that  replaced the stock bars.
I told Rick that they raised my posture upward but I continued to have a
little discomfort. Also, I mentioned that I did not like the feel of the
bike when I rode it hard on the twisties, it didn't feel as good as it did
before the Heli's. He and I worked on my riding posture and this is what he
advised me to do. Move myself up to the tank, on the seat, to where my
stomach touches or lays on the tank, lean slightly forward until my forearms
are parallel with the ground, keep my elbows flexed (not locked). This took
the pressure off my elbows, wrists, and lower back. As you ride, you can
alternate the arch in your back to arched forward or backward. Over time I
have found out that mostly I learned to support my upper body with my
stomach and back muscles and my arms are not as flexed as they used to be,
but they are not locked. I removed the Heli bars the day I talked with Rick
and have never installed them again. I usually ride for three hours or more.
I have spent up to six hours without a break (I love riding), with no more
discomfort than you would get on any bike riding for six hours. With Heli
bars you can achieve an almost straight up posture, but, you won't feel as
connected to the bike as you will with the stock bars. I know of a member on
this list who is trying RS bars on his ST, I think I know what he is after
and I almost think I would like to try the same thing. The connection I feel
with my bike sometimes makes me feel as though we are "one". Give it time
and you will come to know the same feeling.
Mike