Re: Fuel Sender Recall

- ----- Original Message -----
From: "David Earl" <dlearl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> I've been away for some time and came back to find that Triumph finally
> has rectified the fuel sender problem. Mine has never leaked although it
> is unreliable.  Sometime the light comes on at 120 miles.(Thank god for
> the tripmeter)
> I didn't want to trade a innacurate non-leaker for a leaking accurate
> one.  Is the new sender better? Is it accurate? And my most important
> question: what do I have to do about the fact that I was never notified
> of the recall?
> David
> '99 Sprint ST

If you have an early-build '99 your fuel gauge sender may not be included in
the recall (they apparently didn't leak), but if, like me, you had your
sender replaced for another reason (mine didn't work at all -- nada), then
it was quite likely that it would have been replaced with the potentially
leaky one (my replacement leaked within a week or so). The VIN number range
for the recall (for ST & Tiger) was 096419 - 112417.  This could be why you
weren't notified (and then again you may have fallen through the cracks).
Those that got the flaky sender by way of replacement are entitled to the
latest/greatest version, but you probably won't get a call unless you have a
guardian angel at your dealership.

The good news is that I don't think we have any confirmed instances (yet) of
the new sender leakiing.  I believe that few fuel leaks reported on bikes
that got the latest sender have all turned out to be leaks from other
fittings, hoses, etc.

Oh, and as for accuracy, it works the way you would expect once you
understand that the top of the sender is well below the level of fuel in a
full tank and take into account the shape of the tank.  Eric drew a picture
and posted it on the ST website
(http://www.triumphnet.com/st/faq/fuelsender/index.html ).  The gauge seems
to read full forever, then gradually drops to about 1/2, where it seems to
take a nosedive.  When the low-fuel light comes on, you've got about four
litres to go (the website says 3, but the owners manual says 4 and that has
been my experience).  I'm on my fourth sender now, and except for the very
first one, they all seemed to register about the same.

Neil