re: Rude's dilemma

>  From: Jack Hays <rude@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, on 01/12/2001 07:37:
>  	Well, Merlin will be two years old on January 19 and the warranty will
>  be gone.
>  	I'm trying to decide on the advantage of purchasing the Triumph
>  extended warranty for one, two, or three years. At $200 per year it's
>  sorta' high but just one failure of an alternator or timing chain
>  tensioner gear would well offset the price.
>  	On the other hand I feel that the bike is solid and dependable. I bet
>  however that Robert and Big Dawg did too until the tensioner failed.
>  	What to do? I have to decide by noon on January 19.
>  	Any comments please as this is the first Triumph I've owned.
>  --
>  Jack "Rude Dog" Hays
>  972-952-5065
>  "I'll see you on the dark side of the moon"

	Some thoughts you've probably already had and probably won't help, but
here 'tis anyway. Manufacturers have a good idea what the maintenance and
repair cost is and will price their extended warranties so that they don't lose
money. So if you look at it statistically across a broad base of machines you
would probably lose money. However, statistics do not apply to single cases. If
your use is harder than predicted, either through harder riding or more
mileage, then you may save yourself some dough. My thought has usually been
this: if you can afford to pay for repairs if needed, don't buy the extended
warranty. If you're not financially able and willing to pay for a substantial
repair (say $1,000 in a pretty dire case), but can afford the extended
warranty, then buy the warranty. Frankly, I'm keeping my ST 'til maintaining
and repairing it becomes more expensive than a new one, and then I'm buyin' me
a new one again!

What a fabulous machine!

	"Jedi Dawg"  Jim Huber
	'00 blue ST  "Rhiannon"