Warranty : to extend or not to extend, that is the question...

>  From: Jack Hays <rude@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, on 01/12/2001 12:58:
>  	Robert, I only have 11,000 on the bike. I have the big 12k coming very
>  soon. No problems to date except the one no idle about a month after
>  buying that a shut down and recycle fixed. BUT!
>  	Jim, everything you mentioned I've gone over. I never buy extended
>  warranties.

	Yeah, I never do either any more. When I was a poor college student I
bought plenty that never got used. Now I figure I can repair or replace as I
choose if something goes wrong.

>  	Then again, I've never bought a $10,000.00 motorcycle either. My last
>  new one cost $2,800.00:-)
>  	I have no ideal what the cost of an alternator, wiring harness that
>  took out the entire electrical system, or engine rebuild as per Robert
>  and Mark's bike experienced would cost.

	Well, you could always ask. They can't give you an exact figure, but at
least you'll have a ballpark. I'd be interested to know what they say if you do
ask.
	My '00 ST has almost 12k, too, with no problems but the fuel sender
leak, which seems fixed now. Richard White has about twice that mileage on his
'99 with no significant problems I know of. I figure mine's reliable enough to
get me to rallyes and back with no significant mechanical problems as long as I
maintain it according to Triumph's instructions, so I doubt I'll buy the
extended warranty when mine's up in 13 more months.

Like I said, what a machine!

	Jim