DOUBLE yellow light

A funny thing happened to me today while travelling along the M3, homebound
for London.
I ran out of petrol <megagroan>
The RAC only took 45 minutes to come to my rescue and only charged me £5 for
a half jerry-can of petrol.
Apart from the exposure to icy winds, frosty air and an onslaught of traffic
returning to the metropolis after the weekend, the only thing that worries
me is the yellow light to the far left of the dashboard, which remained on
all the way home.
Wasn't this the engine malfunction light, I thought? If so, why did it not
go off at some point.
Of course, the fuel light remained on until well after I refuelled, but
that's only to be expected.
Can someone please tell me what this light does, says, represents?

Tim