Re: Who knows what these two sockets are for?

Hi, my name's Colin Peterson, I'm new to the list, but I've been on the
Norton Owners Club list for a while, and the International Norton Owners
Association list for longer. I passed my bike test in 1977, I live in
Brighton, East Sussex, UK (where it's lately been below zero), and last
November I bought a Sprint ST in Sapphire Blue as an alternative to the
failed commute by train that I used to do to London every day (those who
live in the UK will know what I mean). It was the first brand new bike I'd
ever bought, and the most modern since I rode a Suzuki GS550 back in the
eighties as a London despatch rider, which is how I earned a living from the
late seventies, for ten years or so. This Triumph has proved to be about the
most outstanding incident in my life where I've shelled out lots of money:
for once I feel as though I've got the thing I paid for, and more! It's
STerrrrrific! (corny, sorry, couldn't help it!) Which brings me to the point
of this, my first message on this list.

Ok I'm relatively new to this modern bike game, since I sold my last modern
bike back in about 1990 (what I mean is, how things have moved on it the
last ten years!). I'd ridden plenty of modern bikes before that, all Japs,
but only because they'd been recent enough to provide reasonably safe,
reliable transport for those must-get-there situations. My heart's always
been with old British bikes though, and my pride & joy is a September 1973
850 Norton Commando Interstate MKIIA, in black with silver decals. My way of
going with that has been to keep the thing as close to the original as
possible, while making concessions to modern traffic conditions (better
front braking, mainly), and to improved longevity (i.e. stainless all over,
where appropriate). So, on the one hand I simply don't UNDERSTAND all this
stuff about software and tune: my attitude is, if it's old do it yourself,
if it's new take it to the dealer (and I'm no Luddite, I work with
computers, albeit building a database, rather than designing one). On the
other hand, I'm so impressed with what Triumph have sold me, I wouldn't want
to tinker with their product one bit: I think my ST is SO good the way it
is, that if/when I eventually part with it, I want to pass it on as the
factory made it. Having said that, I'm impressed that there are people out
there who want more...

Colin Peterson
(Someone who's proud to ride his ST from Brighton to London and back every
working day, come gales, downpours, pitch darkness, Jack Frost and
hangovers, not to mention hell and high water)