Re: Neil Lindsey (Light Lens No.)

- ----- Original Message -----
From: "Andrew Reynolds"

> After reading all the mails concerning lights and why some bike only have
> them working one at a time and others always work both together, I thought
> would give you my theory.

I don't think anyone has ever questioned the notion that Triumph pulled 2
relays to comply with EU regulations.  What I had suggested originally was
that this might not be the only thing that was changed (I think we've now
determined that this was the only thing that was changed).

It made some sense (although some listers suggested not much sense) that
Triumph *could* have fitted different headlight lenses on one-eyed bikes,
just like they do on cars that have four headlights (two for low beam and
two for high beam, with only 2 on at a time).  We appear to have examples of
'stock' one-eyed and two-eyed STs that have the same lenses fitted on both,
so it would appear that both headlight lenses are designed to be
dual-purpose.  There was no doubt that 'stock' two-eyed bikes have
dual-purpose lenses (my ST is one of them), but, at the time, that did not
necessarily mean that one-eyed bikes had the same lenses.

> I think that
> both the RS and the ST are designed to work using both headlights at the
> same time. There are four relays, each controlling one bulb filament -
each
> bulb having a dip filament and a main beam filament.

On the 2000 ST and all RSs there are a *total* of four relays, but the other
two are the 'headlight cut-out relay' (to kill the lights when you hit the
starter), and the the 'power latch relay' (2000 ST) or 'main power relay
(RS), which supplies power to the cooling fan and the ignition coils.  The
functions of these appear to be identical, only the name changed.

The '99 ST has one extra relay, the fuel pump relay, but it was deleted for
2000 STs and RSs.  Oh, and on the '99, the 'power latch relay' was known as
the 'ECM relay' and its function is slightly different.

Power to what I will call the 'primary' low-beam filament and the 'primary'
high-beam filament is NOT switched through relays (only their respective
switches).  The 'secondary' (or opposite) low-beam and high-beam filaments
are supplied power thru the relays that are added to create a two-eyed bike
(guess they decided that the hi/lo beam switch contacts could not handle the
current for two filaments on at once)

Neil