Paint scars, was Re: Disk locks.

Patti commented:

>>Front wheel or back for maximum deterrent value?
>
>My vote is for wherever you're most likely to see it when you
>are leaving.  I dumped my EX500 a while ago by forgetting to
>take the disc lock off, after a year of using it successfully,
>and after that I gave the damned thing to a friend and got a
>cable lock.

This brings up something I've been meaning to ask for a while.  Last summer
in a fit of temporary blindness in a dark garage, I tried to leave home with
my big Kryptonite U-Lock attached to the front wheel.  Luckily, I felt the
wheel go over it and was able to brake before it flew around into the forks
and dump me.  The bad part is that It put a 3-4cm long, 1mm deep gash into
the leading edge of my lower fairing.  It is not so bad that I'd want to pay
for it to be replaced, but it would be nice to fix it.  If it was your
fairing, what would you do?

(I have no experience with fiberglass/ABS plastic sanding and painting, and
any suggestions or web links would be useful.)

Thanks.

John Hickman
Lexington, KY
1999 Red ST

P.S.-  Thanks for all your responses to my back armor question.