Re: superbikeschool question

>G'day,
>
>Of the people who have gone to this school, how many have ridden
>their own bike, and who rode the school's bike? And for those who
>have ridden their own bikes, what was it.

I haven't ridden my own bike in the Superbike school, but I did ride
my own bikes at the same track within a few weeks of taking the
SuperBike School on the school's ZX6R.

I rode my wife's Ducati Monster 750 at the Streets of Willow Springs
with Fastrack Riders in early October. In late October I attended the
Superbike School and rode their ZX6R. Then in early November I went
to a CLASS school and rode my Sprint RS. These were all at the
Streets of Willows

The Ducati flicked into corners the quickest, and was wonderful
through the esses from turns nine to 10. But it was a bit twitchy in
turn three. The ZX6R was more stable than the Monster, but didn't
flick quite as quickly. Since the Monster 750 and ZX6R are within a
few pounds of each other the difference is probably a combination of
the narrower tires and wider bars on the Monster. The wider bars
probably caused the twitchiness entering turn three, but rider input
may have been a factor too.

]The Sprint was superbly stable everywhere. More cornering clearance
than the Monster, but not as much as the Kawasaki. I never dragged
anything all day on the ZX6R. On my Sprint I managed to touch the
pegs a few times, and wore some nice scuffs on my boots' toe sliders.
I dragged the pegs everywhere and even the exhaust pipes a few times
on the Monster.

Overall, riding the Superbike School bike is a pretty good deal. You
don't wear out your own tires (I had my dealer install a set of
Dunlop 207GPs on the Sprint for the track days) and Code gets a
discount on parts from Kawasaki if you crash and have to pay for
repairs.

I also rode my Sprint RS at Laguna Seca twice in November. At the end
of the third track day my tires were pretty well toasted and needed
replacement. Factoring in the cost of the tires, and labor to mount
the GPs and remount the stock Bridgestones, riding my own bike cost
me an extra $130 per day for the tires alone. This does not include
the cost of replacing the antifreeze with Water Wetter and then
having antifreeze put back in the cooling system after the track
days. Factoring that in adds about $30 per day.

The upside to riding the school's bike is you don't need to worry
about wear and tear on your own bike. The downsides are you don't get
practice on your own bike, and the students on their own bikes get
out first each session, so the students on the school's bikes usually
got in one less lap per session.

Darron Spohn
Hollister, CA
'00 Sprint RS