Re: Keith Code Question

In your message regarding Re: Keith Code Question     dated Thu, 18 Jan
2001 06:15:15 -0500, by way of Message_Redirector@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx said that

<Snipped>
>bwoM-  Just a side note on a different topic, I was looking through Bike magazine
>bwoM-  and was noticing insurance costs in Britian.  JeeeZ!!! The yearly insurance
>bwoM-  for british motorcyclists seems to cost almost what the bike does.  What's
>bwoM-  up?  Are the british cage drivers that bad over there? Or are there that
>bwoM-  many more 'hooligans' than there are here in the states.  I saw quotes of
>bwoM-  5500 British pounds for a 21 yr old on a new CBR600.  That's practically
>bwoM-  what the bike costs to buy!  In the States here I have a friend who is 24
>bwoM-  unmarried with a ticket or two on a CBR600 and he pays 2000 US dollars a
>bwoM-  year.  And considering the fact that the UK has socialized medicine, it's
>bwoM-  not like the UK insurance companies are having to dole out for medical
>bwoM-  bills like they do here in the US.  I just don't see how the UK citizens
>bwoM-  can afford to ride a motorcycle.

It is very heavily age weighted - that's why it's just us oldies that ride
STs here :-)

See graph 3 on
http://www.transtat.detr.gov.uk/facts/accident/mcycle/mcycle98.htm

as to why it is so heavily weighted.