Lambda sensor (was Who knows what these two sockets are for?)

- ----- Original Message -----
From: <Darren_Mason@xxxxxxxxxx>

> >>'closed loop catalyst only'
> >>(which I believe is still limited to Germany only)
>
> Probably California as well ? I believe they have strict emission
> requirements there as well. Unfortunately the manual does not specify
which
> markets have which specification.

A while back Ross Clifford, representing Triumph, provided us with an
explanation of the FI tunes and CO settings, and seemed to suggest that the
only bikes produced with closed loop catalytic converters were for Germany.
I quote from an earlier post:

"1999 Sprint ST
9888 Production silencer without Cat
9889 Production silencer with closed loop Cat (Germany)
9890 Aftermarket silencer

2000 Sprint ST/RS
10017 Production silencer without Cat
10020 Production silencer with closed loop Cat (Germany)
10021 Aftermarket silencer"

Also the wiring diagrams do indicate that certain parts are
'California-only' (must admit though that I only spotted one), so unless
there is an oversight in the documentation (ya think?), that would suggest
that bikes destined for California do not have the closed loop catalytic
converter.  I'm sure someone will set us straight if this is not the case.

> >>Curiously, the wiring diagram for the '00 ST makes no mention
> >>of an O2 sensor 'per se', but does indicate that a Lambda
> >>sensor is standard issue.
>
> Lambda sensor is not standard on all bikes. My 2000 ST definitely does not
> have one.

Wouldn't the inclusion or exclusion of a Lambda sensor require a different
FI tune?  If so, how could there be only the 3 types of tunes then?  Or is
the tune program so smart that it can deal with this variation?

Neil