Re: Disk locks

In your message regarding Re: Disk locks dated Fri, 19 Jan 2001 14:49:22
- -0500, by way of Message_Redirector@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx said that ...

>bwoM-  From: "Jim Gillespie" <jim@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>bwoM-  To: <ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>bwoM-  Subject: Re: Disk locks
>bwoM-  Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 18:14:41 -0000
>bwoM-
>bwoM-  Hi,
>bwoM-
>bwoM-  I have heard that for maximum security with one disk lock, it should be put
>bwoM-  on the rear sprocket.  The theory is that if you put it on any brake disk,
>bwoM-  a thief could smash the disk itself and ride the bike with less braking
>bwoM-  power.  But you can't ride a bike with no final drive.

I principle I think your suggestion is excellent.  However, most disk-lock
are close fitting on the disk to avoid the opportunity for them to be
forced so some form of padlock on the rear sprocket is an original idea
(just been out to the garage to see if this is possible).

The point of my enquiry was really my own vision of the best way to wheel
a bike into the back of a truck (since this is how most bikes are stolen).
 Is it easier for the b*****s to a) lift the front wheel off the ground
(which already [presumably] has the steering lock on) and roll it up into
the truck or, b) lift the back wheel and do the same.  Like the man said -
if there are locks on both wheels then they are going to have to be
determined and it is not going to be an opportunistic theft.

Since disk locks are small two could easily be carried.  Chains are
another matter and I am grateful for the link to Lockitt Co which seems
worthy of further investigation.

The problem with antipersonnel mines and chemical warfare agents is they
_could_ just harm the innocent admirer who wanted to stroke a Triumph!

The last sentence should ensure that this email is read by someone in the
bowels of the Pentagon :-)

- --
Mike Bostock
http://www.toothfairy.co.uk/