Re: Torque Wrench & Adaptors

From: David Earl
<snip> Unless you have a perfectly calibrated Snap-On
>torque wrench, the tolerance of your wrench is probably greater than the
>effect of a extension or adaptor. Somewhere I have seen a chart that had
>values for the differences but for the life of me I can't remember where
>it was. Some possiblilties:
>Front of a Haynes manual
>Owners manual for my Sears Torque Wrench (which I recomend for DIY'ers
>like myself)
>Internet BMW Riders website
>The Machinist's Handbook (Avail. at Barnes and Noble I believe)

Ah.....I think you are referring to my "bible" there. To be accurate though,
it's "Machinery's Handbook", now in it's 26th edition. Though the bulk of
recent changes relate to CNC machining, advanced cutting tools, etc., the
formulas published in older editions are valid, unchanged.

If anyone who's got an interest in "things mechanical" hasn't seen one of
these reference works, it's well worth looking for. It's over 2200 pages of
data on materials, methods, mechanisms, properties, threads, gearing,
components, standards, and more. It's "geared" toward engineers and
machinists, but useful for anyone who tinkers.

Ken M.
CNC machinist/programmer, and Sprint RS rider