Re: Painting a Helmet, Now Plus Helmet Tips

I've got to go with the others on this, you can buy a brand new HJC
top the line AC-10 http://www.accwhse.com/hjc.htm#Helmets%20street
in a solid color for less than $250.00. This is a Snell 2000, DOT ,
composite shell, all kinds of vents, REALLY NICE HELMET. It is a way
better helmet than your old worn out ( and really it may still fit
OK, but it's protectiveness is shot) almost 10 year old Shoei. And
really not to be rude or mean here, but I'm going to say it anyway.
If you can afford to buy a $10,000 plus motorcycle and leathers and
I'm sure good boots and gloves and If you really, REALLY, can't
afford to spend $250.00 on a new helmet maybe you ought to park the
bike until you can.  And FWIW getting a helmet professionally painted
will cost as much if not MORE than a new one!

Now here's a couple of tips to keep ones helmet lasting longer: Do
not store your helmet in the garage. Why? Because the fumes from the
various solvents, gas, and other chemicals attack the polystyrene
liner and shell. Over time they will degrade the helmet. Other tip:
Don't when you get off the bike hang your helmet off a mirror on the
bike. Two reasons not to do that. First, is IF it falls off it
travels pretty far before bouncing off the road.. not good, and
secondly I've seen lot of folks rest the helmets weight so that it's
on the liner, again not good. I've found that if you want to leave
the helmet with the bike and you don't want to put it in a hard bag (
cause you don't have them) then hanging it by the chin bar from the
passenger foot rest is a much better place.. not as far if it falls
off, and no weight on the liner ( the handle that is installed with
the hard bags is also a good place to hang it )

Erik

PS: I've seen LOT's of dealers closing out last years Shoei RF-800 (
replaced by new RF-900) for about $200.00