Re: Scottish Highland games in Florida ?

Previously, you (Antony Charles) wrote:
> Our local band competitions are not held in January, for obvious
> reasons. Kilt wearing at this time of year is strictly limited to formal
> occasions - being as its cold enough to freeze a monkey's nuts, and
> other appendages.

I think you are thinking of the phrase: "Cold enough to freeze the balls
off a brass monkey".

In the early days of artillery the shot of choice was an iron
cannonball.  It was quite common to have a pyramidal stack of these
ready near the cannon, ready for use (at least in fortresses ... not
sure about shipboard).  To keep the bottom row of cannonballs from
rolling away they were placed on a brass frame.

The problem is that brass and iron contract at different rates in the
cold.  If it got cold enough, the cannonballs would fall off and roll
away.

The frame was called a brass monkey.

At least, this is the story I was told once, long ago, while visiting
some historical fort in Ontario; possibly Fort Henry in Kingston.

- --
Bill "Bench Dawg" Flowers
Clearwater FL
'00 Sapphire Blue ST "Jewel"