Re: Flip-up helmets

At 04:11 PM 1/22/01 -0600, Robert Head wrote:
>I believe that the severe facial injuries to Fran Crane were caused by a
>flip-up helmet although I am not sure.
>Anyone have any more details?

For those not familiar with Fran Crane, she was an Iron Butt Rider (the
full deal around the US - not the 1 - 3 day events) and lost her life while
participating in the event in 1999.

In Utah she phone her husband Walter to say all was well, but a short time
later had an accident which I believe did not involve another vehicle.

According to Walter, the movable chin bar on the flip up helmet Fran was
wearing self destructed. In his words, "Had she been wearing a full face
helmet, she would probably be riding home in the truck with me instead of
being in the hospital."

She was airlifted to a hospital in Salt Lake City with a trauma unit and
was in intensive care. Her condition was looking up and she was expected to
be moved from ICU within a day but unfortunately was accidently
administered an IV containing a blood thinner that put her into an
irreversible coma with considerable brain damage. She was later removed
from life support.

For more information on Fran be sure to view her life story on the Iron
Butt pages at

http://www.ironbutt.com/fran/

- - Eric