Re: Flip-up helmets

I was a pretty active participant on the big IBMWR list when this
happened. She had a single vehicle  crash ( cause was never
determined) was taken to a hospital for observation , given the wrong
medication..that's what killed her. The helmet she was wearing was a
Nolan N-100 flip front which was the in vogue helmet with the BMW set
at the time ( The BMW System helmet's not being available is the US.)
 From the reports ( it was the last day I believe of the 99 Iron Butt
Rally) she had a pretty high speed get off 65mph+ the chin bar blew
apart when she hit. It could be argued (and it was) that  if she had,
had on a solid full face helmet that the impact might have done even
more damage since the chin bar broke up and sort of absorbed the
impact not transmitting it to her face , and neck. On the other hand,
and of course no one will ever know, it's just as, if not more likely
that had she had a solid full face on that she would have been un
injured negating the need for the hospital visit that killed her. All
in all it was a terrible loss to the entire motorcycling community.
Fran, from all accounts was one hell of a great rider ( I never got a
chance to ride with her), and a super nice lady. She accomplished
numerous long distances feats,  even setting a couple of records. I
had the pleasure of a few emails about things BMW (We both owned BMW
K1200RS's at the time), and her death was a real shock to everyone
who'd met her.  Anyway her crash convinced me never to wear a Nolan
Flip Front.

Erik

Erik