Re: Flip-up helmets

Joel,
  I had the same experience when I went down on my old Kawasaki H-2 triple back
when I was in high school.  My leg got caught underneath the exhaust and I was
dragged face down to the road with the bike on top of me.  The chin bar on my
helmet was ground clear through to the lining, the face shield shattered, and the
brow of the helmet ground and banged up.  I walked away from that one with some
pretty nasty road rash and burns on my leg, but my face didn't have a scratch.  I
still have that old helmet and use it to show people that claim helmets are
worthless in a crash.  I also would never consider a helmet without a chin bar or
a flip up style chin bar.  I feel the same as your friend that I would not have a
face if I had not been wearing a full face helmet.

Dan
99 ST (red)

Joel Ashman wrote:

> I have a friend who wrecked a bike a few years ago.  He was sliding with the
> bike, with part of his body still on the bike.  His face, and his one leg
> were not on the bike.  His full face helmet had about a half an inch or so
> ground from the chin bar by the time he came to a stop.  His leg didn't fair
> much better.  He's convinced that had he been wearing an open face, or a
> flip-up, that his face would not be intact today.
>
> A paramedic has my permission to cut the helmet from my face or head, just
> as they would clothes.  Other than that, I'll stick to a Full Face, and try
> not to get into an accident.
>
> Ride Safe!
>
> --Joel

End of st-digest V2001 #47