Re: Zip-open chests???

You cruel lot wrote:

 >>Preparing for treatment by EMTs beforehand! Man, that is REALLY thinking
 >>ahead. I have known people who carry narcotics with them "in case they
 >> crash & are in alot of pain" but never heard of anyone choosing safety
 >> apparel based on ease-of-access by EMTs.
 >>
 >>Are there other preparations you make?
 >
 >I was thinking about having a zipper installed in my chest in case they
 >need to stop any internal bleeding after a crash.

Go on then, take the p..., er, mickey!

I had to buy a new helmet anyway, I had recently seen the results of a bike
crash and the advice from the paramedic stuck in my mind, as he had been the
instructor on a week-long first aid course I attended.  I don't mean the
"how to tie a nice bandage" kind of first aid course, I mean the kind of
course where they have very realistic simulations of burns, car crashes and
head injuries and you have to try to keep the victims alive for several
hours.

Anyway, my next helmet will be...probably not a flip-up.  I believe the chin
bars can take a good bashing in compression and a good grinding along the
road, but after the mails on this topic I am no longer convinced the chin
bar would stay locked shut if it was pushed upwards hard.  Then again, if
the upwards push was that hard, the wearer's neck probably wouldn't survive
either.

Neil