Re: Exhaust Wrap

At 11:56 AM 1/26/01 -0800, D. Elmo wrote:
>   I've checked the archive and haven't found anything on exhaust
>wraps, so I will pose the question to the list.

There are a few posts on the subject - be sure you are checking the
appropriate years....

>   Has anyone investigated the benefits, or better yet, installed
>such heat shielding wraps onto the headers of an ST?  I figured
>that it might help keep the heat down if you were in a slow
>moving, traffic conjested area, and maybe give a bit more power.

I've tried the wrap and there are a couple problems. First, it is very
difficult to wrap near the collector. The clearance between the pipe and
fairing is not large to begin with and the additional thickness of the
wrap, the airflow between the pipe and the fairing is reduced. On later
models (2000+) this may not be a problem as the header follows a path
slightly inboard of the 99s.

Second, the wrap does a good job of collecting oil and road debris... After
some web searches I found several instances of fire or extreme smoke caused
from this oil and wrap combination.

I think you would be better off examining a heat resistant coating (which
is what Turbo Connections does for the Turbo ST kit)

My .02 of course....

- -Eric