Re: st-digest V2001 #58

> From: Lex Offer <reffoxel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: Ohlins and Racetech
>
> I have one question here reguarding the whole supension thing and it's a
> question of cost. Why is almost everyone deadset to spend 600-1000 dollars
> on a new rear shock and questioning who to send your forks too. well
Seems
> to me that it's all silly expensive route to go.  If your going to be
> sending your forks to someone rather than taking parts and bike to a local
> shop you might as well send them to RaceTech  where the real expertise
> lies.

The RS shock is not rebuildable as far as I know.

> And as for Ohlins well that's just out and out really silly
>.  Course this is just my opinion and I could be completely and
> utterly wrong in my view point.

Agreed.

> Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 22:12:05 -0500
> From: "Ken Mitchell" <ken_mitchell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: Ohlins and Racetech
>
> >From: Lex Offer:
>  <snip>And as for Ohlins well that's just out and out really silly
> >expensive.  Why not send your rear shock along with your forks to Race
tech
> >and have them rebuild.  <snip>
>
> I sense it because, Lex, that the stock shock is not capable of offering
the
> fine control of compression and rebound damping, and preload that an
Ohlins
> shock is engineered for. Which, BTW, I don't believe Race Tech does to
stock
> rear shocks. Forks seem to be their business.
>
> There is, of course, the remote possibilty that having an Ohlins shock is
> status symbol, but I doubt it.  ;-)
>
> Ken M.

I definitely do not want an Ohlins because it is a supposed status symbol.

As for the fronts sure if you're going to remove the
> forks and send them out certainly send them to Racetech.
>
> Erik

I have considered this but thought it would be a good idea to support a
Triumph dealer. I've been told that the owner of Socal Triumph used to run
Racetech.That, plus the fact but I've heard nothing but good things about
them makes Socal Triumph my likely choice.

> Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 22:30:50 -0500
> From: Erik Miner <Axeis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: Ohlins and Racetech
>
> FWIW the Penske is fully the equal of the Ohlins. I bought the Ohlins
> because at the time I was able to get it from Wim Kroon for WAY less
> than US retail. Also it's been my experience that stock shocks don't
> hold up. Anyone price a stock Triumph replacement.. not cheap. Also
> keep in mind that the place that most manufacturers skimp when
> building a bike is suspension.  For anyone who's never ridden a bike
> with an Ohlins (or Penske) setup right you just can't imagine how
> much more confidence inspiring it is to ride.
> Erik

Iwas not aware that Penske made a shock for the RS. Could you please post
some info about what model etc, etc?

James

2000 RS Yellow