Re: View from the cockpit

Matt K. wrote:
>I saw these for sale at Road Rider in San Jose, but I think they wanted
>$110 for it. I'm a little hesitant to trust my cameras to suctions cups
>though. Trying to take pictures while riding is hard enough, and the fewer
>things to worry about the better. I'll be uploading the plans for the
>tank-cam mounting, hopefully someone can produce it for pretty cheap since
>it is one piece.

Well, Matt, it could be made out of one piece, but not too easily unless
using a CNC mill or a Proto-Track modified manual mill. All those contours
are a little more difficult to be made professional looking, and that would
also depend upon required tolerances. I know, however, we could get away
with loose tolerances on many parts except the bolt pattern.

If willing to accept a more "rough-cut" look to the contours we could cut it
out of a lower-grade aluminum stock using a bandsaw. It would have to be
made from at least a 1/4 inch thick plate and bent to the shape. Not all
aircraft-quality aluminums are capable of those bends without cracking. 2024
and 6061 do not, 5052 might. I'll check this out and see what I can do.

The mount may also need some adjustability for plane alignment, and aluminum
wouldn't be very adept at being bent up & down often without failure (stress
fractures). Nor would those tiny socket head cap screws take the force with
a lever-arm that long. Those would snap right off. A better bet might be
adaptation of a stock extruded shape, there are many to choose from if you
know the right suppliers (and I do.)

I'll work on this when I can, and get back to you. I just hope we're not in
a hurry, I'm buried in work.

Ken M.