Re: Exhaust Wrap

on 1/28/01 8:07 PM, Joel Ashman at joel.ashman@xxxxxxxx wrote:

> When you say 'heat resistant coating,' are you refering to a ceramic
> coating?  I've heard that this is possible, but I've never found anyone who
> can do it, or how much it would cost.  Also, it the coating Internal to the
> pipe, or External
>
> --Joel

I bought a BigGun exhaust system for my Kawasaki KLR650. It has an aluminum
oxide/ceramic coating on the outside of the head pipe. This coating doesn't
allow the pipe to radiate as much heat as an uncoated pipe would. There are
obvious benefits to this, as the head pipe passes near things that don't
need any additional heat input, including my leg. BigGun also touts other
benefits that enhance performance.
They polish the coating to the point that it looks like satin silver - not
as reflective as chrome or polished aluminum, but "whiter" than natural
finish stainless. The appearance is pleasant, doesn't discolor from heat,
and can be touched up with the likes of Blue Magic if scuffed. Definately
reduces the radiated heat compared to stock on a subjective basis; sorry I
didn't have the means to do a quantitative before and after measurement. I
have seen adds for outfits that perform this coating process in cycle ads.

Good luck,

Dennis in Scottsdale, AZ
'00 Sprint RS
'00 KLR650