Re: Veto alarm without motion sensor

In your message regarding Veto alarm without motion sensor dated Mon, 29
Jan 2001 11:00:25 -0600, Jack Hays said that ...

>JH-  	Before you folks change the alarm to being a manual set of the motion
>JH-  sensor think about walking off and forgetting to set it. That's one of
>JH-  the insurance requirements "a self setting alarm".
>JH-  	Hate to see you change it, forget to set, and loose your ST.
>JH-  	I just lay my remote on the seat when filling and the alarm sets, I
>JH-  continue filling, and press the triangle to disable the motion sensor
>JH-  five seconds after the alarm sets. Only had one accidental set off since
>JH-  doing that. Plus, two set off's when turning on the key without
>JH-  deactivating the alarm in two years. Safety first:-)

I agree with this.  Perhaps though, one thing to consider, is the
difference in premium by having an alarm fitted.   If it is not a
significant amount, why even declare it?  A bit like household insurance -
I have, in my last two properties fitted an alarm but not declared it to
gain the discount.  This is on the basis that most state in the extra
small print that if you get burgled when the alarm is not set then your
cover is reduced/void etc.  Do you switch on your burglar alarm every time
you pop around to the village post-office?  Silly not to, since someone
can be in and out of your property in the time it takes to buy 1/2 dozen
eggs, but most people do not think of this.

My reason for having an alarm on the bike is my peace of mind due to its
deterrent value and to avoid the irritation of having to replace the thing
- - not for getting a discount off the insurance.

However, I have open in front of me the instructions for customisation of
the alarm I have just fitted to the ST - which it would seem may be newer
and slightly different to the ones over 6 months old.  I have kept the
default of auto arm with passive movement detection.  However, in the
instructions it says that the yellow wire if grounded (connected to earth)
will put the movement detector into manual arm - i.e. to have the motion
sensor off by default and your *have* to set it manually each time.

Personally I wouldn't do it.  After all you do get a few warning beeps
when you nudge the bike, before you get deafened.

- --
Mike Bostock
http://www.toothfairy.co.uk/
Wales & SW ST Riders