Re: Penske vs. Ohlins

.> After hearing that Penske made a shock that fit's the RS I called them
> today. I was told they could build one for $750.00 which seems like a good
> price compared to the Ohlins. The thing is I have never ridden a bike with
> Penske shock. Does anyone on the list have any knowledge to share? How
does
> it compare to the Ohlins? Thanks.
>
> James
>
> 2000 RS Yellow

I'm on my third Penske, B12, X1 and ST. I think they make a shock of equal
or better quality than anyone else in the business. They do specialize in
race stuff though so if you are the first person in the queue for a
particular application you might have to have a few changes made to get it
set up to your tastes. That could be viewed as a plus or minus depending on
your viewpoint. I live close enough that I can take my shock up and tell
them what is wrong, they change it and I'm back on the road within an hour.
My only changes thus far have been to spring rates. They will also rebuild
the shock for $50 and provide a very good manual that will allow you to
rebuild it yourself if you want (they sell tools if you want them). They
also offer different shocks for different budgets along with things like Ti
springs if you so desire. I have never had an Ohlins to compare though.

Paul & Dee Steinbacher
1999 Sprint ST
2000 Buell X1