Re: [ST] Calling all RS owners

From: Andy Cunningham
>After several months I think I've decided that my beautiful y2k Daytona is
not
>for me.<snip>
>So I'm seriously thinking about an ST/RS. <snip>

Andy,

I've ridden few true sport bikes, but do own an RS. I find the bar position
to be perfect. Just enough weight on my hands (when I position myself so) to
get great feedback from the front end. Mind you, the forks are *not* as nice
as a Daytona's, but still not quite as soft as an ST. Stock is pretty good
though, and I'll keep mine that way until the warranty is expired. Race Tech
"Gold Valve Emulators" shortly thereafter, along with an Ohlins rear. I rode
a VFR750 the other day done up like that, and the suspension was
unshakeable. Still, I manage to outcorner many MANY better bikes, and I'm no
Kenny Roberts Jr.

The RS's bars are severe enough to make me sore until I do over 500 miles.
Even then, stress is easily reduced by putting more weight toward my back or
resting a bit on the (packed) tankbag. I've done over 330 miles each day the
past two, with no ill effects. While some RS owners change to Sprint ST bars
(25mm higher and further toward the rider), I would never. It's just too
perfect where it is (for me.)

I swapped bikes with both my VFR friend and a Yamaha FJ1200 owner, and both
raved about the motor.  The RS is no Daytona, but if ridden well it'll keep
up just fine on the street.

Heat is just not an issue. Today was 95F (36C?) and I still had no more heat
hit me from the bike than I did my last bike, a Suzuki GSXF750. Having a
cavernous tank bag, heated grips, an accessory socket, soft bags that work,
and a few other nice bits make the RS a perfect bike for me.

Ken M.