Re: [ST] Rules of lanesplitting

I was commuting daily on the bay bridge and from my experience I can say that
you probably don't want to lane split or do anything near the toll booths.
Cops hang out there waiting for all sorts of things that show up there.
Fortunately the carpool lanes eliminate the need for splitting at that point.
I have been yelled at by cops on bikes telling me not to lane split but both
times they ride off ahead of me and lane split. I was never cited.

In one case I was splitting between a bus and a pickup in traffic moving at
15 mph.  A friend in front of me made it through and the guy in the pickup
decided that I wasn't going to.  He pressed me against the bus where I bent
his mirror back as I passed and scratched the side of the pickup.  I was
lucky that I didn't go down.  In general after about 7k miles of commuting
I have learned to watch for the mirrors on wide vehicles (for excursions
are the worst) and I can't bring myself to split by a large truck especially
if it has no belly boxes.  It is far to easy to end up under the tires.

Good luck,
wes

- --
~~~~wesman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Vax  a vicious creature known to eat 110AC and quotes through its
*DCL*.  Vax are usually found in groups of Vaxen called clusters where
they lay in wait to ravage their prey known as users.