[ST] Re: Protective clothing

This is sure to start the flame war, but I can't resist:

I get a lot of comments on wearing full leather (when no rain is expected)
or Cordura gear (when it is) on really hot days. Out with a group of 10 on
Sunday, we walked into a restaurant all dressed in the right gear. Most in
leather, two in Aerostich. It was over 90F outside, and we are all sweating
profusely.

Of course a woman (with a friend) at the cash register commented "You look
very uncomfortable." my standard reply is "Perhaps, but I figure this is
still a lot more comfortable than a skin graft."

This kind of thread goes on all the time for the three lists I'm on. Still,
a great many just put their immediate comfort ahead of the potential
dangers. Same thing with helmets. Those states (or governments) that no
longer have helmet laws find the majority soon switch to "I'm not wearing
one." My theory is that if you give people enough choice, they will
invariably make the wrong one. A friend says simply...."If you don't think
you need a helmet (insert also: riding gear), you are probably right".   ;-)
A coy way of saying "If you have a head worth $5.00, put a $5.00 helmet on
it"? Ergo, if you have legs that are only worth $26.00, then your $26.00
Levi's should be fine.

Some of the longest-riding motorcyclists I know never wear more than jeans.
It's their decision. I should just hope to hell they fully understand how
long those last, skidding along the pavement at even 15 mph. In fact, think
of this: Run out in a paved aprking lot as fast as you can. Take a flying
leap, and see how much you've gotten scraped up, even if your jeans aren't
torn. You likely hadn't been going over 10mph. Still not convinced? I give
up, do as you please.

Ken M.