[ST] Re: Protective Clothing

 I usually stay out of the helmet and protective clothing message threads as they usually simply degenerate into flame wars - as we are seeing here. I try to dress for the fall, you never know what day is going to be the one that some idiot in a minivan on a cell phone is going to plow into you. Hopefully it never happens but what if it does? I don't ride without a full face helmet - anywhere - and I always wear either a leather or cordura riding jacket. For me if its too hot for a perforated leather jacket its too hot to ride. On long rides I wear protective pants also - although I commute in my jeans, which I'm also reconsidering. I cringe when I see the riders in shorts sandals, and t-shirts but I'm not their father. I also realize that most riders don't ride 12,000 miles a year like me (with minimal winter riding).

I'm for mandatory helmet laws - I also support automobile seatbelt laws and it seems the same lame excuses pop up for not wearing seatbelts as not wearing helmets. BUT I'm not going to preach to those who don't agree, do what you want - its your life.

I choose to hopefully survive the fall with minimal damage so that my riding can continue.

Nick Ferraro
RS