[ST] Riveting an O Ring Chain

> Hey Folks,
> Can anyone provide insight as to how to rivet the new chain? My buddy bought
> a chain breaker, which he used to get rid of the old, then discovered it
> didn't compress the new link (or doesn't know how to do it). Any info would
> be much appreciated as we were supposed to leave for the races today!
> At your service,
> Jim

Jim,

The 530 chains on the Triumphs require a decent, heavy duty chain-breaker/riveter to do the job.  Getting the old chain broken is simple.  However, when putting on the new riveted link, you need a decent tool to push the side plate on evenly.  I bought the heavy duty Motion Pro tool, but there are others out there.  Using the special grease provided, and with the provided O-rings, and not getting dirt into anything, push the new master link through, then put the other O rings on.  Now is the toughest part.  You really need the side-press part of the tool, which will allow you to push the side plate on in a controlled manner.  Screw the tool down, watching the compression on the O rings as the side plate goes on.  It is pretty easy to judge it by comparing it to the surrounding links - push the plate on until the O ring
compression and distance of the side plate to the inner link is the same.  If you push the plate on too much, it will bind the O ring and probably give it a shorter lifetime, while too loose will create its own problems.  These modern chains rely on a strong, press fit of the side plate, so they go on quite hard.  I have tried using small vise-grips, C-clamps and other things, but in the end, nothing works well except the tool.  OTOH, with a good tool, the job can be done easily and professionally, so spending the $60 or so once will be worth it.  After the plate is on properly, then just use one of the other anvils provided, and peen the ends of the link over, again, not going too crazy, since it only takes a small, uniform peen to hold the side plate on.  I would also buy at least one extra master link with the chain, just
in case you don't like the way the final job looks - you can always push it out and try again.

Good luck,

Rick Hartwick
00 ST