[NSTR] Re: [ST] Fwd: Statistics Don't Lie...

De-Lurking with things to ponder on the serious side of that posting:
The rate of firearm deaths among children under 13 is nearly 12 times higher
in the U.S. than in 25 other industrialized countries combined.  Boy that's
something gun owners should be proud of, eh?
Studies have found that an estimated 1,000,000 children between sixth and
12th grade have carried guns to school at some point during the last school
year.  How many of them carried stethoscopes?
In 1997 39,400 assaults with a firearm.  How many assaults by
sphygmomanometer?
In 1997 13,300 homicides by firearm.  How many homicides by speculum?
All deaths "caused" by physicians are "accidental" by their nature (okay, us
here in Oregon are an exception with our Death with Dignity Act, but while
technically it is a 'homicide', it's not a crime, and there were 27 of those
last year).  Any deaths by firearm that aren't a crime?  Okay, aside from
suicide (oh, by the way there were 17,566 suicides by firearm in 1997).
Anyway, I have a feeling (I dunno, call me crazy here) that illegal
homicides by doctor in 1997 (or any year for that matter) probably is close
to zero.  How many doctors go on a wild rampage and stick a restaurant or
school-full of people or kids with a syringe filled with hantavirus?  How
many doctors attack a woman on the street, then in some way assault the
reponding police officers with some sort of medical instrument trying to
cause their deaths (as is what happened here in Portland today - - however,
assaultor was mutant bad guy who happened to be a gun owner who shot one of
the responding police officers -luckily only in the hand -  and proving that
the police are generally better shots than crooks, mutant bad guy is now
deceased)?  I haven't been to a funeral of someone who was trying to catch a
doctor who had commited some crime.  I have been to several funerals of
people who were trying to catch persons with guns....persons who shot those
people trying to catch them.
Sorry, but I still think someone with a gun is more dangerous than a
physician.
Regards,
Eric
(no, not anti gun owner.  just anti moronic, mutant, criminal, troglodyte
gun owner)