Re: [ST] new RS member

I don't know if this solution is in the archives, but 3M makes a special buffing wheel (and probably a special compound to go with it) for removing the stickers from police cars. I saw a Sprint RS at Elkhart Lake during the Road America Superbike races that had the RS stickers removed in this fashion, and the results were perfect. The guy told me the 3M wheel works extremely well provided the paint around the stickers hasn't faded noticeably, as it does on many police squad cars. Chances are no RS has enough miles for this to be a serious issue.

on 10/7/01 12:14 AM, Matt Lyon at lyonm@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I peeled off the big "RS" sticker on the left fairing -
> it comes off easily with a hair-dryer, but the glue leaves a very thin film
> and is very tenacious.  I have tried: isopropyl alcohol, goo-gone, WD-40,
> gasoline, goof-off, even a fine polishing compound on a electric buffer.  Any
> other ideas out there???????
> any suggestions appreciated.  Matt Lyon

Many adhesives are oil soluble, especially ones which stay tacky, try
cooking oil then wash the oil off with detergent. This worked fine for me
when removing the running in stickers from the tank.

Dave