[ST] RE: Where the buffalo roam

>>> "Tony B." <thomas_4@xxxxxxxxx> - 7/11/01 10:54 PM >>>
But!! but there is yet another animal you may want to be aweare of, buffalo.

I lived near Theodore Roosevelt National Park for about 3.5 years, and had my fair share of experience with these surely creatures. They are big, stubborn things, but they are incredibly fast when they put their small minds to it. I've got it on good authority that they can outrun a strong 650 Bonneville for a short distance. My scariest buffalo story involves riding through the park on a KZ1000 and coming on a line of stopped cars filled with drivers gawking at a big bull buffalo walking up the oncoming lane. The land is pretty rugged in the park, and the buffalo use the park roads to get up some of the steeper hills. I was trapped. I had stopped cars in front of me and stopped cars behind me. The buffalo strolled within maybe three feet of my bike and gave me a really nasty look as he lumbered past. With a cliff going up on my right and a cliff going down on my left and cars blocking the road ahead of me and behind me, I don't know what I would have done if he had charged. Probably ended up as a segment on Fox Televisions: "When Big Dumb Animals Attack Dumb Little People on Motorcycles."