Re: [ST] safety wiring

I have a seriously hard time buying in to the fact that I should spend any
amount of time on a brand-new bike tightening various bolts and fasteners.
Regardless of the terrain on which I'm driving.  I can't imagine anyone
buying a four-wheeled motor vehicle and spending several hours a year making
sure everything's  tight.  It should be the manufacturer's responsibility to
the safety of its consumers that this be done.  Can you see a car
dealer/maker saying, "Gee Mr John Doe, we're sorry the wheel (or door, or
bumper or whatever) fell off while you were driving, but you need to get out
a torque wrench and make sure everything's all nice and tight"??   If
anything like this happens on my ST and I'm still breathing afterward, the
first thing Triumph is getting is a tort notice (and I'm not talking about a
dessert order).  If I'm not breathing, my family will be owning a big damn
chunk of the company!  Just because it's a motorcycle, shouldn't mean I have
to have less expectations on quality of fit and finish (not to mention plain
old safety) than a passenger car or truck.
Regards,
Eric G
01 BRG ST
Portland, OR

> Date: 16 Jul 2001 17:27:56 -0500
> From: serlick@xxxxxxxx
> Subject: [ST] safety wiring
>
> Hello Matt and fellow Disgusters:
> Safety wiring will certainly eliminate the problem of loose bolt/screws.
It's not that big an issue to waste a whole lot of time doing this. A
fifteen minute session every three to four months with an Allen key/Torx
ratchet(spanner) is all it takes to check that everything is tight. I'm
riding in the oldest part of a 320+ year old city with potholes, Belgian
blocks, brick paving which makes for mechanical stuff to loosen up. A lot of
other listers don't have to deal with these conditions, so it's not a major
problem.