Re: [ST] Oil Substitute?

- ----- Original Message -----
From: "Eric Sheley" <Eric@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: <ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: July 17, 2001 5:31 PM
Subject: Re: [ST] Oil Substitute?

> At 05:18 PM 7/17/01 -0700, Cameron McKay wrote:
> >Stu,
> >I rode about 1100 miles the weekend before last and the oil level was
fine.
> >But, this morning while my bike was on the center stand in my garage on
> >level ground, the oil level did not even register, no oil is even
visible.
> >Nothing is leaking. I just need some oil.
>
> Aack!! Do not check your oil on the center stand. If you fill while on the
> centerstand you will overfill.

I just got back from checking a few things and here is what I found:

1. My garage floor is fairly level.
2. I checked the oil level while the ST was on its centre stand (ie. the
front wheel is on the ground)
3. I then pushed the rear end of the bike down until the bike the rear tire
was on the ground and re-checked the oil level (ok, actually my wife did as
I was still holding the back down), and noted that the level did NOT change
appreciably (I think it went up VERY slightly).
4.  While seated on the bike, and holding it upright (and not on the centre
stand) I (or she) checked again and the oil level was virtually the same as
in 3.
5.  If you tip the bike to the right or left of centre the oil level changes
radically.

Therefore the most important apect is that the bike must be vertical (left
to right) when checking the oil.  Although Eric's solo method of using the
legs of the centre stand to ensure the bike is vertical is valid, it is
unnecesarily complicated.  Just check it while on the centre stand (assuming
you have one of course).  Being off slightly from front to back does not
significantly change the level in the sight glass.  If it were that
sensitive then I think different sag settings for front and rear suspension
could also have a significant bearing (and they don't).

Two things are guaranteed, however.  If you fill to the high level mark with
the bike on the side stand you are SURE to overfill.  And if you can't see
any oil in the sight glass when the bike is on the centre stand, you're in
trouble.  Hopefully you didn't run it that way for long.  I think that it's
safe to say that as long as the oil light never came on unexpectedly, you
should be ok.  Good luck figuring out where the oils has been going.

Neil

End of st-digest V2001 #429