Re: [ST] Advanced rider training

In your message regarding Re: [ST] Advanced rider training dated Wed, 18
Jul 2001 07:20:21 -0700, Peckham . said that ...

> >From: "Mike Bostock" <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> >4.  Slowing on the straight and applying power smoothly through the bend as
> >soon as the intersection of the nearside and offside edges start to move
> >away from you.  Much faster and smoother than I was previously achieving.
> >
>P.-  And much safer too, since this is the only way to know if the bend is
>P.-  getting tighter or opening up in blind curves, e.g., that great stretch of
>P.-  road near the Rock Store in CA.
>P.-
>P.-  This is know to all U.K. riders as the "Vanishing Point."  It is largely
>P.-  ignored by US trainers. Nice that your guy mentioned it, even if not by
>P.-  name.

He did call it by name, I chose not to and described it instead to try to
avoid confusion as the term 'Vanishing point' can mean different things to
different people [(say) an artist].

On the ride I was constantly being told to 'chase the vanishing point' as
it moved away from me.  Once you believe in it you can really 'give it
some' through the bends.  ie as long as the vanishing point is moving away
from you, you can keep the power on.  The trouble is believing in something
your instinct for self preservation tells you not to ;-)

- --
Mike Bostock
mike@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.toothfairy.co.uk/